- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Health Care Assistants
- We have 2 RNs, LPNs, and 2 HCAs available on the day and evening shifts.
- We have 1 RN and LPN on nights to cover the entire facility.
- A second RN is on call for emergencies and the ambulance crew will respond to help in the ER if necessary.
Vulcan Medical Clinic RN
- An RN works out of the Medical Clinic, which is located in the Vulcan Community Health Centre, Monday to Friday
- The Primary Care RN works with complex care patients and those requiring Chronic disease management.
- The RN works directly with these patients to provide counselling, education and treatment and is the Referral Clerk.
Diagnostic Imaging Services:
- Outpatient work is done from 0800-1700 Monday- Sunday but we have DI staff on site from 0800-2315 for ER and Acute patients and on call during the night..
- We have a portable x-ray machine and all patients can be X-rayed on the emergency stretchers if they can’t be moved to the x-ray department.
- Our Radiology Department provides 24 hour Holter ECG Monitors as well as 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.
- This service provides a comprehensive range of routine and specialized lab testing and clinical consultation.
- The lab is fully equipped and our technicians are able to do many tests on site.
Lab services available include:
- blood and body fluid sample collection
- biochemistry and toxicology
- transfusion medicine
- coagulation studies
- Open for Out patients: 0830-1700 Monday-Friday
- We have lab staff on site for ER and Acute patients from 0700-2300 and on call from 2300-0700.
- We have staff on site on weekends from 0800-2300 and then on call..
Physical Therapy Services
- Our physiotherapist and a physio assistant work Monday-Friday 0830 to 1630.
- Our physio department is equipped with parallel bars, treadmill, stationary bike, stepper, wall pulleys, reciprocal pulleys, arm egonometer, free weights, and treatment mat.
- Wheelchair assessments can be done on uncomplicated clients and lower leg assessments are offered.
- The PT is an AADL authorizer.
- We have OT services in the hospital 2 days/week and there is also a community based OT available 2 days/week.
- The OT offers cognitive assessments, swallowing assessments, home assessments and lower leg assessments.
- The OT also fits clients with home adaptive equipment.
- We have a recreation therapist in a 0.5 FTE and a recreation assistant in a 0.63 FTE.
- Their services and programs are focused on our long-term care population.
- A respiratory therapist comes in weekly for PFTs.
- Outpatients can book and appointment to see the respiratory therapist.
- Referrals are available for inpatients as well.
- The Vulcan Community Health Centre has a pharmacist onsite 3 days a week as well as a pharmacy assistant onsite 3 hours per day. Among their other duties, the pharmacist provides clinical counselling to inpatients
- There is always a pharmacist on 24 hours call.
- Pharmacists in the two drug stores in the Town of Vulcan fill prescriptions Monday to Saturday 0900 to 1800.
- We have a site-specific hospital formulary which physicians can access from any of the RNs.
- We also have access to the Calgary Health Region formulary.
- Health Records is staffed Monday to Friday 0800 to 1630.
- We have a mental health clinician available Monday to Friday from 0930 to 1745. At this time, the clinician is a registered not and not a social worker
- This individual provides assessment and counselling for a wide variety of conditions and addictions.
- As a registered social worker, this individual takes self referrals was well as referrals from other health care providers.
- Counselling services include smoking cessation, grief support, alcohol and drug addictions, financial planning, dealing with depression, coping skills, and advanced care planning.
- A psychiatrist is onsite on a monthly basis.
- Appointments are booked through the medical clinic.